Tuesday, November 5, 2013

HOW TO: Loop Method for Starting Cross Stitch

Hello wonderful readers! Here is another post in the How To Tuesday cross stitch series.

First up, a massive thank you for all your sweet comments over the last week! They warm my heart. The Cross Stitch Community really is a friendly place.

I have been cross stitching for years (since I was a wee girl) and I learnt something a few months ago from a Bothy Threads Cut Thru' kit. I didn't expect this. One seems to think that one knows everything after they have been doing it for a while.  The kit taught me that I can start a two-stranded thread with the loop method. I am going to share it with you here. It has really quickened the pace I can start a thread so I encourage you to give it a go.

I have made a YouTube video to watch or follow the photo instructions below:

1.  Firstly, cut your thread length to about 24 inches (60cm) long. Pull out one strand of thread to use. Fold your strand in half. There will be two cut ends at one end and a loop at the end. Thread your needle onto the cut ends so the loop is at the opposite end of the needle.
Here is the cut thread prior to threading the needle. I will thread the needle onto the cut ends.

2.  Bring your needle from the back of the fabric into the hole you are starting your cross stitch. Do not pull your thread all of the way through. Leave the loop part of the thread at the back of the fabric.

This is the right side of the fabric. I have put my needle in the first hole of the cross stitch from the wrong side of the fabric leaving the loop at the back.
3.  Do your first diagonal stitch of the first cross and push your needle through.

Here is a picture of me making my first diagonal stitch from the right side and bringing the needle through to the wrong side at the back.
5.  Turn over your fabric so the back (or wrong side) of the fabric is facing you. Thread your needle through the loop and pull gently so the thread goes all of the way through.  The thread will now be secured by the loop.
I am pushing the needle through the loop on the wrong side of the fabric after the first diagonal stitch.

I have pulled the thread through the loop here at the wrong side of the fabric so the thread is locked.
6. Now continue cross stitching as you would normally.

There are two scenarios I can think of where this method will NOT be suitable:
a. if your threads are pre-cut to a shorter length
or b. if you have to blend thread colours to form two strands.

Thank you for wandering through my garden...
                                              Jan x




8 comments:

cucki said...

Thank you for sharing dear
Hugs x

Chris said...

It is always surprising to learn something new when we have been stitching for so long. :)

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oh wow, I've never even heard of this method. You explained it beautifully! :D

Julie said...

I was shown this method a few years ago by a new member at our stitch club, I had never heard of it either.

You cant do it if you are only using 1 thread and stitching over 1 though! Although that is obvious lol

Wendy S. said...

Oh my goodness! I've never seen this before. It is pure genius!! Thank you!! =)

zenuwpees said...

Le debut de la broderie est deja beau bonne soiree Marie-Claire

Faith... said...

This is my favorite way to start stitching!

Peppy said...

What a clever idea, thanks for sharing!